Saturday, January 19, 2008

I can BREATHE again!

I am soooo very thankful right now at this moment, and I would just like to share with you all.
My brother, who is a service man, is currently stationed somewhere in the Sandbox that is Iraq. Due to some regulation/rule/order we, his family (not even his wife), are not allowed to be informed of his whereabouts or what he is doing. We send our mail to a general postal address, and they find him. He calls my Sister In Law from a secure line once a week, and my parents about once a month or so. He has left his entire life behind to serve his country, and I am very proud of him (not something I could have said, say, 7 years ago.)
Yesterday afternoon we (both my mother and I independantly) received a phone calls from my Sister In Law. We were given the only information that she had -- my brother's Unit had been fired upon, and had sustained heavy casualties/damage. That was all. So, we have all been sitting on pins and needles, unable to sleep, trying to imagine a life that does not include him in more than just memory, jumping every time the phone rang, running at breakneck speeds just to have all our hopes dashed every single time it is not her with new informations. And, generally, not breathing.
Well, we can now breathe again. She just called my mother and told her that, while she cannot give any additional information (as the other families have not all been informed), she can tell us that it was not my brother. That is all she has.
And with those 5 little words, our whole world breathed a sigh of relief.

Additionally, my heart goes out to all those that have lost their loved ones to situations just like this. Their sacrifice is greatly appreciated, and they are remembered.

No comments: