Sunday, January 13, 2008

Heart wrenchingly sad, unbelieveably timeless.

I just LOVE the Classics. Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, etc. Women that wrote about true "Ladies", and endless love.
It is my opinion that every woman truely wants to feel that at least once in their lives. That breath stealing, heart pulling, searingly beautiful kind of love that only truely comes along once in a lifetime (I have been married twice, and yet have only felt this kind of love once - and not with either of my husbands.) A love that is desperately painful to let go of, and feels like the tremulous pain will never subside when that love is no longer a part of us.
I think that these women authors must have known something about that kind of love. Which is astounding for the time in which they existed. I am in awe of their accomplishments, and I am respectful of the way that they have inserted themselves into our contemporary lives with their timelessly beautiful words.

2 comments:

Mom2fur said...

OMG, I just finished watching "Jane Eyre"--the version with John Hurt and Charlotte Gainesborough. I've seen in a bazillion times and it still chokes me up. There is one scene that struck me this time, that I never really noticed before. Early in the movie, when Jane first sees Blanche through a window, she gazes at her own plain face in a mirror and says: "you're a fool." As in, she's a fool that Edward Rochester would take her, plain Jane, over pretty blonde Blanche. Later, after she accepts his marriage proposal, she looks at herself in the mirror again...and smiles. Same hair, same makeup. But now she's wearing a white dress, and there's just this 'glow of love' about her that makes her beautiful.
Maybe that's the biggest thing about these romances...that being in love truly makes you beautiful!

Cheri said...

I agree, and that (to me) is one of the most telling points of the whole movie. Jane has never known love in any compacity. No one has really been kind to her (in the book she does have a few friends, but she is so unsure of herself really that she doesn't make lasting connections with anyone) and no one has ever made her feel that she was simply good enough the way that she is.
And then along comes Rochester. Who loves her for everything she is, and everything she isn't.
Her whole being changes when she realizes this, and then changes again a few chapters later when she finds out that he is already married and she leaves. But she never loses parts of that changed person.
I just love it.