Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A spider in my orange. (And other fairly twisted tales)

I found a spider in my orange today. Not a large one. Just a tiny, little thing, who's life was cut short by my fingers when I squished it (Hey, it was in MY damn orange, I will squish it if I want to.) Although it does beg the question, how the hell did it get in there in the first place? I prefer not to think about that, and just enjoy the fruit (And again. Yes I did, in fact, eat the orange after disposing of said intruder.)
The thing is, that tiny spider makes me think about what I eat every day. Am I putting the "best" into my body?
Honestly, we are a fruit/veggie/multi/whole grain kinda household (well, except for The Man, who is a meat and potato kind of guy. But, when he is at home, he is a fruit/veggie/multi/whole grain kind of guy LOL) My children eat their vegetables FIRST, before anything else on their plates ~ entirely by choice. They like beans in many forms. And they will devour just about any kind of veggie/fruit. We don't eat a lot of meat. No pork whatsoever, very little beef, chicken, and turkey. And only a little bit of fish (no shellfish.) We do eat cheese, eggs, and drink milk (recently we cut out butter.)
Sounds like a pretty decent diet, right?
I think so.
My issue is that we live in the MidWest. Fresh produce is not readily available year round here (I just paid almost $3.00 per pound for some serously SAD looking tomatoes ~ I understand that this is less than most of you would be paying, but we also live in a lower per capita income area. So for us, that is, like WHOA ~ way HIGH!) The fresh stuff that we shell out the cash for in the Off Growing Season is often not very good quality or oddly colored (ie. Strawberries that have half white tops and berry red bottoms ?????) And even if you drive to another market (for us, another market is 25 min away) there is no guarantee that the produce will be any better (in fact, it might really be much worse.)
Now, we will still buy the fresh stuff. We always have, we always will. But is it really the "best" we can offer ourselves?
Compared to the alternatives, I think that it is. Some is better than none in my opinion (although the hormones, genetic alterations, etc. used in the growing of mass distributed produce offer another position of contention.) And for us, it is not an option to grow ourselves, visit local Farmer's Markets (great in the Summer, non-existant in Winter), or purchase everything organic (which is another Soapbox topic for me altogether.)
Right now, we do the best with what we have. And I am guessing that will just have to be enough. LOL

No comments: